Success factors may be summarized into 5 factors.
- The government supported the residents at the appropriate time to lead their voluntary participation.
- The government did not interfere in but defined the guideline for skills so it caused the residents voluntarily participated in the project
and elect their leader by themselves as well as to decide their own project.
- There was a dedicated leader and the government cultivated a leader with strong leadership through Saemaul Undong training.
The leader served his or her duty without pay and took a role as a leader through concentrated training in the Saemaul Undong Central Training Institute.
- In addition, the government chose an effective way to support by inducing competitiveness based on self-help spirit with the principle of
'supporting the predominant village first'.
It graded villages into 3 classes such as basic, self-help and self-reliance village.
Therefore, the people worked harder and harder to get more resources.
- It was implemented in a village unit. An optimal condition to expand this movement was an old and traditional town which is interested
in community consciousness and public interest of the residents.